Monday, September 7, 2026

Chateau Marmont or The Authentic Self

my eyes search

around this room,

all this naked comfort,

my clothing strewn

in such abandon

and I feel I’m nearly home.

a shirt sleeve, its colors fight

afternoon breezes that blow 

in from Sunset Boulevard,

weakly flapping, one cuff button

clicking an idea repetitiously

against a scratched chair leg.


insistent LA scent 

loiters

on skin, in my hair.

my socks,

uncharacteristically 

flung

like used condoms

after happy endings,

drape limply,

damp, 

one over a lovely replica

of a once famous goddess,

another licking the last 

of yesternights tumbler

of ice and rye.


clad in what little

remains of modesty,

I fade into the sofa

with a laser

pulling Laurel Canyon

from its DVD,

grasping zinfandel

from California’s north

in an inappropriate glass,

and thinking (again),


almost home,

I’m almost home

when I vanish into furniture

and ride waves of mostly domestic

chemical enhancement

in a fantasy Hollywood fantasy.




No comments: