Sunday, December 11, 2016

rare meat

rare meat

a poem
about rich opal

whose lies
are still lying
on me and
pancho

her bar tables
and bad habits
with steak, ribs,
bathrooms and butt
grabbing

after liar’s dice

soiled
kisses
in the bar

where her dark
locked out sunshine

and names written
on undersides of tables
and condom machines
as memorials
for alcoholics

along with phone numbers
including area code

with the phrase,
help me, I can’t do this
I can’t do this
I can’t do this

a pulse
I heard in my ear,
as I lay my head on my arm,
on the floor,
disappeared
when I stood
after some hands
and wrists dragged

me from the wood floor

where my eye saw feet dancing,
on dirt, dust, and dust bunnies or mice
or whatever they’re called

I could see under everything
where nothing
had been mopped
for quite some time

because I was drunk,
I wanted to ask pancho

if those married women
who asked me for sex
and their husbands
who asked me for the same thing

were dancing together

but he was listening
to racist jokes in the corner

No comments: