Sunday, February 1, 2009

Before Napping

There’s always a promise that if
You sit long enough something will happen.

I’m sure whatever that is or was or must be
Is as close to death as not breathing.

I came to sit in this chair to write
About filling human needs and wants.

Well, more about my needs and wants
That need and want filling feeling.

So I hold up my hand and
Count on my fingers.

This may be important
So I enumerate.

First, I gotta breathe, I know this
But occasionally I forget.

Like when the sea is so clear,
I should be able to breathe it.

Second, I gotta eat, I think.
But I forget to do that too sometimes.

I have friends who ask me constantly
“How can you forget to eat?”

And they ask so incredulously,
I get embarrassed and stammer.

“Well, well, I don’t know…I”
Then I add a word that means forgot.

Third, I am pretty sure sleep is third.
I don’t sleep very well either.

I hear noises in the rooms and noises
Inside my head and then I think.

If darkness doesn’t wrap me up
Like a lightproof blanket, I’m awake.

All those little noises and little lights
May as well be poking me with little fingers.

Fourth might be those automatic things
We never notice unless we don’t do them.

Like moving and blinking and sweating
And feeling and excreting.

Now I hold up my fingers to start
Counting again but I don’t.

I want a lot of things like a car
That comes with a parking space.

I want an ocean beach with perfect waves
That comes with a new surfboard.

I want that little voice in my head
To come with an off switch.

So here I sit in this chair telling you
I didn’t sleep well and held my breath.

I ate something but forgot what it was.
But everything else; I did that.

2 comments:

lakelady said...

hmmmm a poem or a bit of prose?

Anonymous said...

Imagine my delight at coming here to get the url to share with two friends who are also writers and finding WONDERFUL NEW words! True and intimate.
Thank you for them.
(The tiny noises keep me awake, too, esp. when I'm alone in he house).
-M~